Kindles are great. But did you know you can use your Kindle to read ebooks that weren’t bought through Amazon?
If, for example, you’ve purchased and downloaded an ebook from somewhere other than Amazon, and you want to read it on your Kindle, here’s how to do it:
- First, you’re going to need the ebook in .mobi format – most ebook sellers will provide this as standard. Save it somewhere handy.
- Download the ‘Send to Kindle’ app for free from Amazon (available for Mac and PC).
- Install, then open ‘Send to Kindle’
- In ‘Send to Kindle’, enter the email address and password you use to login to Amazon (this is an Amazon app, and you need to authorise the connection with your Kindle).
- Drag the ebook .mobi file to ‘Send to Kindle’.
- Select the connected Kindle devices or apps you’d like to send your ebook to
- Click ‘Send’ and the ebook should now be available on your Kindle!
The above also works for other Kindle devices, eg the Kindle for iPad app. Just choose the required device in step six above.